Search This Blog

Friday, September 1, 2017

Sept 1 - where is autumn?

I am not too sure where 'fall' weather is?  We remain hot and dry and are predicted to be the hottest Labour day since 1981. I guess the good news is that our a/c is working at this house (not at my other home) and while it is too hot to doing much outside, it is still perfectly cool in my basement for me to continue sewing without feeling guilty!  It is cooler overnight so sleeping is comfortable.  We do have the most annoying neighbours with a son who drives a horrible diesel truck and comes and goes at nasty times, loving to do u-turns in our driveway (shining his back up and brake lights in our bedroom window) and warming his truck up for 10 minutes before he leaves so sometimes sleep is totally disturbed and quite often, completely ruined.  Oh well... I guess compared to what others are enduring, that is minor even though it irritates the heck out of us? 

My Sew-Sisters August blocks got completed.
And my St. Louis 16 patch that has been hanging around for a couple of years is quilted and bound and destined for Quilts of Valour.
And am determined to get my Canadian Women's 150 block challenge done.  I stopped at 72 blocks but decided to lay them out on the design wall and it makes sense to have a total of 80 blocks so stitched up the last ones needed while watching fabulous tennis the other evening (GO DENNIS SHAPOVALOV). 

Also on the wall is another preemie quilt that needs to have the blocks stitched together.  It was an inspiration from Sonia at the last modern guild sew-in.  Not too sure if I should thank her for yet another project on the go?

My sewing space is a total disaster and it is my project this afternoon to tidy up.

I have finished a couple of projects.  One is a quilt that was a top left over from Quilt Canada and our modern guild offered to take some of these tops and quilt them and donate them to local charities.  I quilted two and both are heading to fire victims in the interior of BC. Oops, forgot to take a picture of the second one. 
And I finished our guild's preemie quilt challenge.  Then there were leftover blocks so made a few more to go with them and got a second quilt made to donate to our NICU at our local hospital.

I was really happy to get my double slice, sewing themed blocks out of a bag and into a quilt.  I did add a border to this because I wanted it just a little larger.  Wasn't so sure that the border fabric really did the quilt justice but when it is on a bed, the border won't be that noticeable and it serves a good function.  I do think the bright binding addsa touch of colour to brighten up the outside edge.
Yesterday, I met up with a quilting friend who is heading to the interior of the province for the long weekend and she offered to take quilts to drop off with one of the groups collecting for distribution to those families who have lost their homes due to forest fires.  A huge thank you to Heather and to all my friends who gave me quilts for her to take.  There was a nice stack of them for delivery.
One last quilt finish is this cute pink elephant baby quilt. I bought a quilt from Quincy's sewing in Alberta while they were at our local sewing show in March.  The kit was easy and a great price and I have it finished and given it to my neighbour because she is now a Great Grandma!  This can be a quilt that lives at her house for when the sweet baby Amber is visiting.
Am feeling good about my September.
I managed to get 15 of my 20 projects completed for our Fraser Valley Modern quilt guild finish it up challenge.  Not bad and am determined to get my 150 blocks and my solstice quilts finished up sooner rather than later.  The Sew-Sisters project needs to wait as I didn't realize that I still have 2 more months of blocks left to make.  Darn!  And the Ohio stars project might not get done for awhile because I have no motivation to work on it!

Time to write out my Sept goals and figure out what I should/could be working on and there are still a few tops waiting for me to quilt them along with some pincushions and coasters calling my name.  One day at a time!

So, not too bad for a hot and dry summer!  I have completed the majority of what I wanted to accomplish and have made a large number of donations to Quilts of Valour, Fire victims quilts, preemie quilts and few gifts as well as getting a couple of UFO's completed.  Whew!!






No comments:

Post a Comment