Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Back to school today - but not me!

Being a retired teacher makes the first day of school for the year very enjoyable! 

With fall weather arriving in a major way with lots of rain and dark, cooler, dreary days mixed in the sunny days, I have been able to take the cover off my sewing machine and have accomplished some sewing, finished off a few projects that have been hanging around for too long.

This is the second preemie quilt that I made using the BQ pattern - quilted and bound and ready for guild meeting next Tuesday.

I also worked on my Quilt of Valour and hope to get permission  to show how simple it is to contruct this block for a quick demo and inspire others to make a quilt for injured soldiers. I found the pattern in McCall's quilting, May/June issue and it is called Paradigm Shift.  This quilt is made from my stash and fits the term SCRASH quilt - scrappy and made from stash fabrics only.





These are a couple of block ideas that I have been playing with and will show these as inspiration for a  Quilt of Valour  - two sizes and again, made totally from my stash and are scrappy.

I also made a double sided baby quilt for my neighbour who owns a quilt shop - to showcase a sweet panel and coordinating fabrics.  A warm, soft flannel quilt perfect for a sweet baby girl?


I am also working on another SCRASH project - an autumn quilt made from all my bits and pieces of batiks. The pattern is from the Debbie Mumm website and a link was posted on my Yahoo Fiberwizards group.  After checking it out, I decided to give it a try and was a great use of 8" scrappy squares.


A successful labour day weekend! 
Now, time to think about some other projects around my house - salmon to can... lots of salmon that needs canning with the bonus sockeye run this year.
But, now that I am sewing and am all set up and organized, it will be easy to work for an hour or two a day and get some of these projects from the beginning or middle stage to being finished quilts! 


1 comment:

  1. Yahoo for you Carolyn. Enjoy your school free September!
    Darc
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete